Mapo Tofu 麻婆豆腐 is one of my favourite dishes to prepare as it is relatively effortless and always a crowd pleaser. If I swop the silken tofu with egg tofu and crack an egg, I will get the hotplate tofu made popular in tze char restaurants. Anyway, here's my adapted recipe from Guaishushu. Oh by the way, a pokemon was attracted to our mapo tofu during dinner 😊 .
Now, this recipe only uses the Thermomix to pulverise the peppercorn and to mince the meat. For better texture, it is recommended to semi freeze the meat first then cut into small cubes (note: smaller than ice cubes) for mincing at speed 7 10 sec (caution : you do not want it too fine or too chunky - semi-freezing makes it easier to mince).
- 300 grams of tofu
- 200 g minced meat (I used twee bak pork which has a bit of fat then mince with the Thermomix)
- 2 tablespoons of spicy fermented soya bean paste
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic ginger
- 1 teaspoon of dark soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon sambal chilli or 1 cut chilli (padi)
- 1/2 tablespoon of white sugar
- 3 sprigs of spring onion, chopped
- Sprinkle toasted Sichuan peppercorn powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup of chicken stock or meat broth
- 1 tablespoon of corn starch mix with 3 tablespoons of water
- Dry pan fry ½ tsp Sichuan peppercorns in a pan until aromatic using LOW HEAT <varoma the peppercorn for 4 minutes, pour out then drop them through the lid with the blades spinning into the Thermomix, turbo blast a few seconds to grind the peppercorns into powder>
- Cut the tofu into 2 cm cubes. In a pot, put some water and 1 tablespoon of salt. Bring to boil, put a basket and gradually add in the tofu. Let it blanch it hot water for 2-3 minutes. Off the heat and let it sit in the hot water for another 5 minutes before draining. <With the Thermomix, you can use the simmering basket which is very helpful in keeping my tofu intact without breaking up>
- Heat a frying pan, put 1 tablespoon of cooking oil,
- Pan fried the minced meat with chilli sauce until it is set.
- Add the spicy fermented soya bean paste, stir fry for 1 minute before adding the ginger garlic paste.
- Stir fry until you smell the garlic aroma.
- Add the chicken stock and reduce the heat to MEDIUM.
- Add the blanched tofu carefully and let it simmer for about 3 minutes or when the sauces start to reduce.
- Make sure the sauces are over the tofu evenly
- Add the starch solution over the tofu, when the sauce thickens and dries up slightly, off the heat
- Sprinkle chopped spring onion over the dish and serve hot
- For a more authentic taste, you may sprinkle a pinch of Sichuan peppercorn powder over the dish
- Some chilli oil (optional) will add a nice colour
- To prevent my tofu from breaking, notice that I serve my entire frying pan haha
- Update : Subsequently when I cook this dish again, I got better (with experience) and serve on proper plate
To watch the Thermomix TM5 in action in Singapore, click here.
Share this post
- 2 comments
- Tags: affordable dinner recipes, chinese dish recipes, chinese meat recipe, easy mapo tofu recipe, grinding spices with thermomix, grining your own Thermomix peppercorn, how to toast peppercorn in thermomix, mapo tofu recipe, meat recipes, mincing meat with thermomix, peppercorn powder, pulverising spices with thermomix, pulverising with thermomix, thermomix chicken stock, thermomix mince meat, toasting peppercorn using varoma in thermomix