One of the dishes that Thermomix users always ask to learn is none other than the chicken rice. Why? Because this local favourite has a "complicated to cook" reputation and the idea of cooking a healthier version that is not laden with fats is appealing to most foodies.
I was pleasantly surprised with how easy it was to cook chicken rice when I tried the recipe on my Thermomix. Healthier output, less work and less mess are the key factors that made me a convert.
Healthier : Do you know rice cooked by the Thermomix is low GI, because the rice is steamed in a "simmering basket", while the sugar laden high GI water will remain in the "mixing bowl" which need not be consumed and can be discarded.
Less work : Ever heard about 4-in-1 cooking? You cook your soup, rice, chicken, steamed egg or veggie all at the same time? Well, that is possible with the Thermomix stacked cooking using the "varoma steaming trays".
Less mess : When you use only one appliance to do everything, that means there's only one appliance to wash up lah. No wonder all domestic helpers love Thermomix.
Consistent cooking results : Because the Thermomix cooks using precise controls on temperature, stirring speed, and timer, as long as one follows the instructions on the recipe, there is really very little chance to have different cooking results. Taste is almost guaranteed to be consistent. Which is why chefs are also huge fans of the Thermomix. Imagine boiling potatoes then mashing them into smooth consistency, when you can do that in 20 minutes with the Thermomix to get oh-so-smooth mashed potatoes. Or your pineapple jam in 40 minutes without stirring at the wok non-stop.
Alrighty. Here's the Chicken Rice recipe for Thermomix.
- 2 chicken thighs (deboned & completely thawed to prevent blood after cooking)
- 10g light soy sauce
- Salt and pepper for taste
- Sesame oil (optional)
- Shaoxing wine (optional)
- Fish sauce (optional)
- 3 eggs cracked into a bowl
- 50g fresh ginger
- 10g garlic
- 20g shallots
- 40g butter
- 300g rice washed and drained
- Chicken stock paste
- Pandan leaves (about 2-3 leaves tied into a knot)
- 50g yellow onion
- 70g potato
- 70g tomato (optional if you do not want your soup to look too orangy)
- 120g carrot (reduce if you do not want your soup to look too orangy)
- 1.6kg water
- Stainless steel steaming plate
- Sambal chilli tomat add a squeeze of lime for a more tangy taste
- Sprig of coriander, spring onion and cucumber slices for garnishing (none in picture because I ran out of these in the kitchen ... oops)
Directions < Thermomix directions>
- Marinate the chicken with soy sauce, shaoxing, squirt of fish sauce, sesame oil, 1 tsp stock paste, pepper for at least 30 minutes
- Place eggs, 260g water, 1 tsp salt into the mixing bowl and mix <6 sec / speed 4> then pour the eggs through a sieve into a stainless steel steaming plate
- Wash up mixing bowl
- Place ginger, shallot and garlic into the mixing bowl and chop < turbo / 1 sec / 1 time > scrape down the contents
- Add butter, saute <3 min / varoma / speed 2 > Transfer into a bowl and set aside
- Insert the simmering basket
- Place washed rice and add about 1300 water - the water should be just covering the rice
- Add sauteed ginger, shallot, garlic mixture, salt, chicken stock, pandan leaves and mix the contents well in the simmering basket
- Place marinated chicken in the bottom varoma dish so that the meat juices will flow down into the rice during cooking
- On the upper varoma layer, add the plate of eggs to be steamed
- Make sure the chicken do not full cover the vents so that the steam can travel upwards to cook the eggs on the upper tray
- Once stacking is completed, cook < 20 min / varoma speed 3 >
- Remove the simmering basket and place rice inside a rice cooker to keep it warm till the food is ready to be served together
- Notice the water left in the mixing bowl - if you are conscious about consuming too much sugar/starch, this water can be discarded but if you are not too concerned, this remaining water can be made into a soup to complete the chicken rice
- Remove the upper tray of eggs and set aside
- Place the onion, carrot, tomato, potato into the mixing bowl and place the chicken varoma tray back onto the Thermomix to cook an additional 15 min / varoma / reverse / speed 1 >
- When the Thermomix beeps, remove the varoma dish and slice the cooked chicken.
- Squirt some fish sauce, sesame oil over the chicken slices for a more authentic chicken rice hawker taste (you can omit for a lower sodium and calorie dish)
- Serve dish hot, with chilli and garnish with a sprig of parsley or spring onion and cucumber slices
#Thermomix #ThermomixSG #BuyThermomixSG #ThermomixRecipes #ThermomixTM5 #WheretoBuyThermomixSingapore #ThermomixSingaporeReviews
Share this post
- 6 comments
- Tags: buy thermomix singapore, buy thermomix tm5 singapore, easy chicken rice recipe, how to cook chicken rice with thermomix, low gi rice, recipe for thermomix chicken rice, stack cooking with thermomix, thermomix 4 in 1 cooking, thermomix chicken rice recipe, where to buy thermomix tm5 singapore